Destiny 2 Axes Its Final Update — Then Bungie Swings the Axe on Its Long Run
Bungie reportedly plans to hand out major layoffs right after Destiny 2 drops its final update on June 9. The studio, now a quiet subsidiary of Sony, apparently has no new project lined up for that entire team once the last content hits servers. Instead, the developer pours more resources into Marathon, that extraction shooter which launched back in March to a somewhat sleepy reception. Does anyone actually remember playing Marathon last month, or did it vanish like a forgotten sock in the dryer? Destiny 2 fans feel the ground shaking beneath their feet as beloved developers pack up their desks.
No Destiny 3 on the Immediate Horizon
The Bloomberg report claims that Bungie does not plan to jump straight into production on a third Destiny title anytime soon. Staff members keep trying to pitch new projects, including several Destiny-related ideas, but nothing has received that precious green light. Upper management looks at those pitches with weary eyes, knowing the current market punishes almost every risky bet. Why would Sony approve a brand new shooter when console prices just went up, and subscriptions cost more than ever? Destiny 2 remains the studio’s proudest achievement, yet that achievement now feels like a heavy anchor instead of a shiny trophy.
Bungie Faces the Brutal 2026 Reality
That extraction shooter, the very reason Bungie pulled folks away from Destiny 2, has struggled to hit sales targets since day one. The studio dreams of a slow and steady player climb over time, but dreams do not flicker the light switches. Several former Destiny teammates shifted over to Marathon, only to watch it trip over its own shoelaces right out of the gate. Does a slow burn deserve a trophy if the campfire never actually roasts a marshmallow?
Destiny 2 fans watch this messy rollout with a sad shake of the head and a quiet we-told-you-so shrug, because Marathon seems less like a sprint and more like a stumble. Does a slow burn count as a success if the fire never really catches? Destiny 2 loyalists watch this unfold with a mix of sadness and quiet I-told-you-so energy. Major layoffs have become a depressing theme across the entire gaming landscape this year, not just at Bungie.
Ubisoft suffered massive cuts and project cancellations that left talented people scrambling for new jobs. One heartbreaking example involves a game called Highguard, which went from a grand announcement at the Game Awards to shutting down in less than two months. How does a project die that fast when it barely had time to breathe? Destiny 2 players recognize that same cold wind blowing through Bungie hallways right now.
No Guarantees for Anyone Left Standing

The report makes one thing painfully clear: there is no guarantee any proposed project will move forward in this challenging market. Sony already raised prices on its console and subscription services, which usually signals tighter budgets across every subsidiary. Staff members pitch their hearts out, drawing up concept art and writing design documents, but leadership hesitates to sign anything.
Does a fantastic pitch matter when the company bank account looks like a diet after Thanksgiving dinner? Destiny 2 represents a finished chapter, and the next chapter remains blank. Nobody knows exactly how many people will lose their jobs once that final Destiny 2 update goes live on June 9. The studio has not released official numbers, and the Bloomberg report leaves that detail frustratingly vague.
What the report does confirm is that cuts appear to be on the horizon, regardless of whether a Destiny 3 ever sees the light of day. Does a vague warning feel worse than a specific one, or is uncertainty just part of the modern gaming nightmare? Destiny 2 veterans remember the good old days when Bungie felt like a family, not a cost-cutting machine.
One Last Look at the Shattered Horizon
Here is the honest reality after sifting through all those gloomy reports and whispered conversations. Bungie built something incredible with Destiny 2, a game that kept millions shooting and looting for nearly a decade. Now that the marathon has ended, the studio must either reinvent itself or slowly fade into the background of Sony’s massive corporate shadow. Those layoffs, if they come, will hurt real people with real bills and real families who just wanted to make cool space shooters. Let us hope Marathon finds its audience before the axe swings, because the alternative looks awfully quiet and awfully sad.
Where to Check Out All Things Entertainment, Gaming, and Current Affairs
Social Media from David Gilbert
